KEEP UP TO DATE WITH ALL THE IMPORTANT COVID-19 INFORMATIONCOVID-19 RESOURCE PORTAL
FANews
FANews
RELATED CATEGORIES

Developing the next generation of black brokers through Old Mutual Insure’s Greenhouse Project

13 December 2019 Old Mutual Insure

Old Mutual Insure is pleased to announce the launch of the ‘Greenhouse Project’, a project funded by The Insurance Sector Education and Training Authority (INSETA).

Stats SA reported that the unemployment rate amongst youth aged between 15 – 34, during the first quarter of 2019, is at least 55.2%. The Greenhouse Project is aimed at increasing the pool of black insurance brokers for the future, through credible education and mentorship, which is in line with the organisation’s transformation strategy.

According to Old Mutual Insure, the overall objectives of this initiative are designed to:
• Make an investment into the Old Mutual Insure future workforce and inherently build a pipeline of readily available black brokers;
• Deliver qualified and FAIS compliant young black brokers; and
• Grow capacity within Old Mutual Insure’s own broker network, whilst ultimately transforming the demographic profile of the industry’s financial planners

Garth Napier, Managing Director, of Old Mutual Insure says: ‘Old Mutual Insure are extremely excited with the partnership with INSETA in launching our inaugural Greenhouse Project. The intermediary space within the insurance industry is still largely white, male dominated, and as such, the client base is mainly white with an average age of over 45. Transforming the intermediary element within short-term insurance, will result in a shift in the clients who participate in the sector, and we believe that Old Mutual Insure is at the forefront of this movement with the Greenhouse Project.’
Following a rigorous selection process, a total of 61 candidates were selected from Gauteng (26), Western Cape (15), and Kwa-Zulu Natal (20). Approximately 80% of the incumbents are black females and the remaining 20% black males. The expected projects duration is 18 months.

Nasreen Ravat, Learning Manager: Worker Programmes at INSETA says: “INSETA’s vision of creating young, black owned, sustainable insurance brokerages is being met by initiatives such as this, and it is with great pleasure and pride that we are involved in a project such as Old Mutual’s Greenhouse Project. We at INSETA firmly believe that the only way to truly transform our nation is through providing quality education, and continued support for the future generation.”

The programme will cover elements such as work-based experience, the INSETA accredited Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services (FAIS) Short-Term Level 4 qualification, product knowledge and overall business skills, work orientation programme and RE exam preparation, a broker toolkit, and finally the graduation ceremony.

Quick Polls

QUESTION

The intention with lockdown was to delay or flatten the Covid-19 infection curve and give both the private and public healthcare sectors time to prepare for the inevitable onslaught. Did the strategy work?

ANSWER

No, the true numbers are not reflected. Almost a quarter of South Africans may already have been infected with Covid-19
It’s too soon to tell. We will likely get a second wave with stringent lockdown regulations in place again
Yes, South Africa bought enough time to make a significant difference. We saved lives and have passed our peak. The worst is over
fanews magazine
FAnews August 2020 Get the latest issue of FAnews

This month's headlines

Ethical behaviour - are you toeing the line?
Latest business interruption developments raise more questions than answers
Brokers remember: You are accountable...
A sustainable pension - How to manage living annuities in uncertain times
Claim stats… life can change in a heartbeat
Are South Africa’s income protection benefit providers ready for COVID-19?
Subscribe now